Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Digital Tools for the Math Classroom

As I prepare to go back into the classroom, I started reminiscing on all the digital tools that I implemented in my classroom before. I share a few on my original blog: Fun Integrating Technology. 

It's been three years since I was in the classroom and we all know, technology changes quickly. So here I am discovering old and new digital tools to make my classroom innovative.

Since this post is B.C. (Before Classroom), I will give a description of how I plan to use it in the classroom. During the year, I will revisit this post and make any updates and changes. If you have used any of these tools, please leave a comment on how you have implemented them into your math classroom.

Formative Assessments

Socrative: A cloud-based student response system. Socrative allows teachers to create simple assessments that students can access via any digital device.  I will be using Socrative as a tool to give students quick formative assessments.

Kahoot: I will use Kahoot as a game to engage students and assess their learning. Kahoot  is a video trivia game to assess students' level of understanding. Reading, I found another digital tool called Quizizz. I will investigate Quizizz. It looks to be very similar to Khaoot.

Using Nearpod in 2012
Nearpod: An interactive presentation and assessment tool. Teachers create a multimedia presentation and then share with students. The teacher is able to control what the students view. Students are able to engage in the presentation through quizzes, surveys, polls and writing. I used it while teaching high school several years ago. 
I also experienced teachers I worked with the last couple of years used Nearpod. I am very excited to use this tool in my Teacher Directed groups. (Yes, I will be doing Guided Math and a little Blended Learning).






Google Forms with Flubaroo is also a great tool to use for  quick assessments and to gather data from students.



Digital Tutors

To provide students with videos to access content and or instructional modeling, I will be suing Virtual Nerd and Khan Academy . I used both of these while in the classroom and still think they are great tools. While researching other tools to use, I discovered YouTube has some video content that may be used in the classroom also. These will also work to assist students with homework.


Fun games that I will use to engage students and assess their learning will be Kahoot ( A video trivia game to assess students' level of understanding.) Reading, I found another digital tool called Quizizz. I will investigate Quizizz, but for right now, I will be using Kahoot!

I just found this one out today: Scholastic Study Jams. Study Jams is a teaching tool that helps introduce or reinforce math topics through fun interactive activities. I have never used this one before, but will be using it this year.


Blogging/Collaboration Tools

This year will also implement literacy into the classroom. Students will blog to write and express their mathematical ideas. I am going to try using KidBlog for this. I used it before and liked that I was able to be in control of monitoring what students post.


Padlet is a great collaborative tool to implement into your classroom. Students can create an online post-it board that can be shared with any student or teacher.

I will also be incorporating Google Docs as a tool to collaborate.

Answer Garden is a new minimalistic collaboration tool. Ask a question and grow your answers.


ifaketext is probably one of my favorite tools to use. You can use this tool to allow students to create a conversation to explain a topic, vocabulary, or how to solve a problem.
And I dare not forget to mention using Twitter or creating GIFS and memes to have student explain their understanding.


Here are a few practice digital tools for students:

Ten Marks - This is Ten Marks last year....
IXL 
iPractice Math

I am so excited to create ways to integrate technology into the classroom. I am working on STEAM and PBLs, so these tools are not creation tools. I will do another post on digital tools for project creation.

Be sure to subscribe to The Unicorn Educator and follow the glitter trail. Hope this post has sprinkle a little magical dust to help you create magic in your classroom. 



No comments:

Post a Comment